Monday, October 17, 2011

What I Learned About Facebook in Two Weeks

Two weeks ago, I was really bored at work and started hiding all the Facebook ads.  It gets a little addictive and I never stopped.  This was how FB responded:

No matter how many times you hide Zappo and PetSmart and WalMart, they come back; they must make huge FB 'contributions.'

Despite the fact that I consistently marked everything 'uninteresting' I continued to get ads related to things I am interested in, which means the ads are linked to what we write.   For instance; if I post a picture or participate in a photography-related post, I get ads about getting degrees in photography or learning about it online or websites with pictures.  If I mention a glass of wine, i get a rehab ad (that one always cracks me up).  If I mention my grandies, I get ads for toddler stuff.  So, they really do pay attention to what we say, except when we request changes or complain that we don't like the new format or that we need help with it.  I'd still like to get rid of that new ticker and just go back to having the most current statuses on top without designating anything a 'top story.'

Finally, a couple of times I got a little pop-up asking me to take a survey about what I would be interested in seeing. Of course, I'm always interested in improving FB, so both times I clicked it.  Sadly, neither time did the link work.

In addition, during this time period, I had another FB issue come up regarding a real security problem, which at this time, I’m still not sure is resolved.  After an extensive search of the Facebook Insecurity Center, got no help.  After an extensive search for a "Contact Us" button, found none.  And after a direct message to Mr. Zuckerberg himself, got no response. 

I'll leave ya'll to take this news as you wish.... 

Personally, I’ve learned to be careful when friending others.  I’ve friended several new people on FB with no problems whatsoever.  Sometimes the relationship continues and sometimes not, just like ‘real’ life.  It’s not the first time I’ve learned to be careful, and it won’t be the last.  It’s part of life.  You can live and trust or not.  It’s your choice, but so are the consequences.  This is an occasional consequence in my choice.

The irony of the entire situation is that I still like Facebook, but it has nothing to do with the ads or stalkers or them tracking my status updates.  It has everything to do with reconnecting with friends I grew up with, keeping up with friends who live far away, getting to see pics of my nephew’s football games and my grandkids during their days, getting to share pictures I take and finding out what people think of them, finding new friends with common interests, bitching about common pet peeves (stupid litterbugs), getting to vent the goofiness that flies through my head during the day, and yes, making new friends.  Overall, I think Facebook is a good thing; it's just a bit of a pain sometimes.

Love to all those I love who love me back,
allison

No comments:

Post a Comment